The History Of Goebbert’s Farm
Goebbert’s has been in the farm market business since 1948. George Goebbert started a roadside vegetable stand in Arlington Heights. In 1972, Jim Goebbert bought the 40-acre farm in South Barrington and moved his family. Jim’s three children started selling pumpkins on the roadside in 1973. It got so busy one Saturday, Jim had to close the Arlington Heights stand, to come home and help with the pumpkin sales. The fall festival was born.
In 1979, Jim made Goebbert’s a destination farm by having the fiberglass pumpkin, “Happy Jack” made for the silo. Happy Jack measures 18ft wide, 15 ft tall and is a landmark for many people.
In 1985, Jim purchased a second location in Pingree Grove, IL. This 200-acre farm is open to the public in late Sept. thru Oct. for the fall festival. The rest of the year, we are busy greenhouse growing and farming vegetables that we sell in South Barrington. Jim & Esther have retired and their sons Lee & Lloyd along with their wives run the farm.
Today, we employ 250 plus people at Goebbert’s during our peak season while remaining a small, family run farm.